If You Hear a Fire Alarm
- Immediately evacuate the building via the shortest route. Do not use elevators.
If you notice smoke, use the alternative escape route.
- Test doors with the back of your hand before opening them. If the door is warm or if you notice smoke, use an alternative escape route. Check paths for safety before proceeding and close doors behind you.
- Crawl low if you have to go through smoke.
- Go to a safe area or to a pre-assigned exterior area of your building.
- If you suspect that someone is missing or trapped, contact the emergency personnel outside the building.
- If you are trapped during a fire emergency, close all doors between you and the fire.
- Stuff cracks around the doors to keep out smoke. Wait at a safe window and signal/call for help. If there is a phone in the room, call the fire department or 9-1-1 and tell them exactly where you are.
- Stop, Drop, and Roll if your clothing catches fire.
Once You Have Evacuated
- From the nearest phone in the safe area, call 911.
- If you suspect that someone is missing or trapped, contact firefighters on scene or at the fire engine, police officers, or ambulance personnel.
- Await emergency response personnel at a safe location and direct them to the scene.
- Do not re-enter the building until instructed to do so by the fire department.
- Follow directions of fire and police personnel and the housing staff.